Episode 9: Combat & the Courtroom with Plaintiff Attorney Jim Avery
Conversations with leading trial lawyers and settlement professionals on relevant industry topics.
- Jim Avery - Attorney - Avery Injury Law
In this episode of Settlement Nation we chat with Jim Avery, a plaintiff attorney and the owner of Avery Injury Law in Missouri. Jim is a three-time combat veteran in the United States Marine Corps and Army National Guard, touring both Iraq and Afghanistan. Jim shares his story about serving in units that performed IED destruction missions and how he thrives under pressure, both in and out of the courtroom. He also covers what it was like to receive a $1 million settlement in his second year practicing law, using techniques he learned from Running with the Bulls, as well as advice he has for other newer attorneys.
Some of the topics that we cover in our candid conversation with Jim include:
- How his background serving in the military has helped him as an attorney.
- Why it's important to show confidence and self-belief.
- How he used the demand letter tools in Running with the Bulls to receive a $1 million settlement.
- The advantages of being a newer attorney and how his personal experiences help him relate to his clients.
If you have a question for us about this episode, or want to request a guest for Settlement Nation, send us a message here.